Talk 60's 70's Football at Yahoo! Groups sixtiesandseventiessoccer  
Bob 70-71 logo

Where are they now ?

Bob 70-71


Latest News

70-71 Teams

A-Z Players

Search the Site



Thirty Years Ago!


Where are they now?




E-mail me


About Bob 70-71

- Know any others ??! Let me know and I'll include them on this page.

Spring 2005

Donald Ford (Hearts)

Donald Ford

Donald Ford

Donald is now a photographer manily specialising in superb photographs of Scotland, and Scottish golf courses. If you go to his website, you can order his work. I'm very pleased to say I have done this myself and I was delighted with the outcome.


(Special thanks to Donald for letting me use the above photograph, which originally appears on his own website. Go there now!)

Newcastle United win the Anglo-Italian Cup, 1973

From The Sunday Times 17 April 2005, included the following in their regular 'Caught in Time' feature.

The Anglo-Italian Cup was designed to improve relations between the English and Italian leagues in the 1970s. Unfortunately, it did exactly the opposite, with matches regularly turning into brawls and players constantly sent off. "The format of the competition was such that when an English club played in Italy there was an English referee, and vice versa," recalls Frank Clark, the Newcastle defender. 'There was a lot of misunderstanding and I am not sure it did create better relationships."

The event was the brainchild of football promoter Gigi Peronace and was staged from 1970 until 1976. "There was also quite a contrast in the styles of football played in the two countries at that time, because there wasn't the continental influence we now have in the English game," says Clark.

Joe Harvey, the Newcastle manager, never approached any match lightly, and the Magpies took the tournament by storm in 1973. They are pictured boarding the flight to Rome in February for their Firs! game, against defending champions Roma. Two goals from John Tudor gave them a 2-0 victory. Tommy Gibb then scored the only goal in a home win against Bologna. a game in which Malcolm Macdonakl was sent off and was then involved in a fracas in the tunnel.

Newcastle defeated Como 2-0 away and thrashed Torino 5-1. although two players from each side were sent off. Their victory set up a two-leg semi-final against Crystal Palace. After a 0-0 draw in the first leg, Newcastle coasted to a 5-1 home win to qualify for the the final against Fiorentina in Florence on June 3. It was their 59th match of the season.

The Magpies side that won the Texaco Cup in I974and 1975 never really fulfilled its potential and was too inconsistent. Clark says: "On our day we could beat anybody and 1 think a lot of the reason for our inconsistency was because Joe Harvey was more laid-back than he had been earlier in his managerial career. He was no longer a sergeant major and had mellowed. !t was also a team of fairly mature players and we were left to our own devices.

"There was a great incentive for us to win the Anglo Italian tournament because it was the season Sundcrland won the FA Cup against Leeds, and. as our closest rivals, we needed to find some sort of consolation."

The Newcastle coach, Keith Burkin-shaw, normally did the team talks, but was in dispute with the club and it was left to Harvey to gee up his players. "Right, you bastards," he said. "I have been involved with this club for years as a player, captain, coach and manager and have never lost a cup final. So I don't want you lot spoiling my record."

Newcastle won 2-1 with an own goal from Fiorentina goalkeeper Franco Super-chi and a goal from David Craig in the 54th minute. The Magpies conceded a late goal, but held on.

"Gigi had promised us a slap-up meal on the town if we won the competition," says Clark, "but we ended up having steak and chips in the Fiorentina canteen."

Keith Robson (Newcastle United)

Robson was a 19-year-old forward breaking into the first team at the time, having signed from the juniors. But his time at St James' Park was fairly brief. He played only 14 league games in three seasons before signing for West Ham for 60,000. After three years with the Hammers he joined Cardiff City for a season. Norwich City was his next stop, and he played for Leicester and Carlisle. After a brief spell in Hong Kong, he became assistant manager of Wrexham. He works as a machinist in Norwich

Martin Burleigh (Newcastle United)

A stocky reserve goalkeeper who joined the Magpies from his local club Willington in 1968. lam McFaul was the No 1 goalkeeper at the club, but was injured in February 1973 and Burleigh enjoyed his best run between the posts late in the season. He played 11 league games in six years before moving to Darlington. He also played for Carlisle for two seasons and finished his career at Hartlepool. He is a painter and decorator in Ferryhill, Co Durham

Terry McDermott (Bury)

A tireless midfielder whose stamina and powerful shooting ability earned him a move to Newcastle for 22,000 in February 1973 from Bury. McDennott spent only a few seasons at St James' Park, but did enough in the one-sided FA Cup final against Liverpool in 1974 to impress Bob Paisley, the Liverpool manager. He moved to Anfield for 170,000 in November 1974 and became a key player in midfield alongside Jimmy Case. Ray Kennedy and Graeme Souness. He won four league championship medals, two League Cups and three European Cups with the Reds. The PFA Player of the Year in 1980, McDermoti won 25 England caps. He rejoined Newcastle in 1982 and then became a coach there. He has worked under Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish and is assistant to Souness

Malcolm Macdonald (Luton Town)

They called him Supermac, and the flamboyant goalscorer was a huge hit on Tyne-side. He scored a hat-trick on his debut as a 21-year-old against Liverpool in 1971 after a club record 180,000 transfer from Luton. Macdonald started as a left-back at Fulham and joined Luton a year later, helping them win promotion to the Second Division. He scored 49 goals in 88 league games. He was equally prolific for the Magpies, with 95 goals in 187 league
games during a five-year spell. Macdonald won 14 England caps and scored five goals against Cyprus at Wembley. He scored a hal-irkk against Crystal Palace in the Anglo-Italian semi-final, but missed the final because he was on England duly. He moved to Arsenal in 1976, scoring 42 goals in 84 league games, but a knee injury ended his career. He managed Fulham, ran a pub in Berwick and was in charge at Hudders-field before moving lo Milan, where he set up a football information service. He works on radio in Newcastle

Frank Clark (Newcastle United)

He shrugged off a broken leg soon after signing from Crook Town in November 1962 to play 487 matches for Newcastle as a dependable defender. "It was paradise for me," he recalls. "Playing regular football for one of the best teams in the land."Clark then joined Nottingham Forest in 1975 and won a championship medal and the European Cup under Brian Clough. He went into management and was assistant manager at Sunderland and in charge al Leyton Orient. When Clough left Forest, Clark look over and led them into the Premiership in his first season. He was also manager of Manchester City. He is vice-chairman of the League Managers' Association, works on disciplinary and transfer tribunals and spends as much time as he can with his two grandchildren in the Nottingham area

John Tudor (Sheffield United)

An excellent foil for Macdonald up front, Tudor learnt his trade at llkeston Town and signed for Coventry in 1 966, spending two winters at Highfield Road. Three seasons at Sheffield United added to his experience and he joined Newcastle in January 1971. five months before linking up with Macdonald. He scored 53 goals in 164 league games, but was sold to Stoke for 30,000 in 1976. After playing in Belgium, he became a publican in Derbyshire and (hen moved to the US, where he coached at Tonka United in Minnesota. He is assistant coach of the Minnesota Thunder.

Pat Howard (Barnsley)

A solid central defender, Howard made his name during six seasons at Barnsley. He joined Newcastle in September 1971 and played in 1 84 League games in five seasons. He had a season at Arsenal, two seasons at Birmingham and finished his career at Bury. He works for the Professional Footballers' Association in the Greater Manchester area

Article by Greg Strutters

David Sloan (Oxford United)

David Sloan with his Northern Ireland caps

David Sloan with his Northern Ireland caps

Many thanks once again for this information sent to me by Phil Moody. The following appeared in Scunthorpe Telegraph, 7 May, 2004.

Irish eyes still smile on Sloan

By Stuart Pearcy

Scunthorpe United's only Northern Irish International will get caps he earned more than three decades ago thanks to considerable efforts by fans.

Former shipyard worker, David Sloan signed for Scunthorpe in the Winter of 1963, and scored 42 goals in his 4 year spell with the club before going on to Oxford United and Walsall.

But he returned to Scunthorpe after his playing career, firstly as a steel worker, and then spent 23 years as care-taker at the primary school in Burton.

He hasn't been on United's pitch since his playing days, but will be back there before tomorrow's game against Darlington to get two unclaimed caps which mark moments to remember as a full international.

They'll be presented by Irish Iron, who follow the club's progress from over the water.

It was fan, Phil Moody, who learned from Sloan that he'd never been given the full international caps.

'I said I would try to find out why,' said Phil. ' Emails to the Irish FA brought no reply, then Peter McLeer of Irish Iron came to the rescue.

'He had a contact at the Irish FA, a very helpful William Campbell, who put us on to Darren Velghy. Result. We got the caps for the presentation.'

Former Bangor player, Sloan, born in 1941, first appeared for Northern Ireland after only three games at Scunthorpe, where he'd been brought by manager Dick Duckworth.

He won a place in the Under-23 side which drew 3-3 with Wales at Belfast's Windsor Park in 1964.

He played just six games for his country; twice at amateur international level, once each at youth and Under-23, and twice as full international.

All were very memorable in their own way. Arguably the most special was a fixture in Seville, in November, 1970; although Spain won 3-0. It will have been memorable for the line-up - winger David, lined up alongside George Best, Derek Dougan, and Pat Jennings.

But perhaps the best was the first played at the Oval for Northern Ireland Amateurs two months before joining Scunthorpe.

Northern Ireland beat England 2-1. It was the first such defeat for a decade, and the winning goal was scored by none other than David Sloan.

Thanks very much once again, Phil, that was a remarkable story, and well done for helping to right that wrong for David.

Chelsea 1955 Champions

Chelsea have become only the fourth different club to win the Premiership this season. Their last Championship was back in 1955, and at BBC SPORT Football My Club Chelsea Champions of a different era, Charlie Henderson at the BBC has compiled a 'Where are they now?' of the last Chelsea Championship winning squad.

Here's some of those who definately lay claim to a place on Bob's 70-71 Footballers, the appearances refer to appearances in the Championship winning season....

Ken Armstrong (A team in New Zealand !)

39 appearances & one goal

Armstrong, who made more than 400 appearances for Chelsea, was in the autumn of his west London career in 1955. A dynamic orchestrator in the middle of the park, he was also an instrumental element in the club card school and claimed to have bought his first car with his winnings.

In 1957 he emigrated to New Zealand on health grounds but carried on playing until 1971 and was crucial to the development of the sport in his adopted country, for whom he won 15 caps. Armstrong died in 1984 and his ashes were scattered at Stamford Bridge.

John Harris (Sheffield United manager)

31 appearances

The old man of the team and one of the hard men. He joined Chelsea on loan from Wolves during the war and made the move permanent following the ceasefire. A stalwart figure and club captain before Roy Bentley, he moved from full-back when Sillett edged him out at Christmas.

He left Chelsea the following season at the age of 39 to become manager of Chester before moving on to Sheffield United where he spent almost 15 years in charge over two spells before leaving the club during the 1973/4 season to become a lay preacher. Harris died in 1988 aged 71.

Roy Bentley (Swansea City manager)

Centre forward
41 appearances & 21 goals

Bentley moved from Newcastle to Chelsea in 1948 in a 11,000 deal. It was money well spent. He was the leading scorer at the club for eight successive seasons, including the 1955 campaign when he was Drake's on-field lieutenant, an inspirational figure and a prolific marksman.

He left in 1956 with 150 club goals to his name, a mark that has been surpassed by just Bobby Tambling and Kerry Dixon, and nine England caps. After spells at Fulham and QPR he quit playing at the age of 38, stepping into management with Reading and later Swansea City. He lives in Reading.

Frank Blunstone (Brentford manager)

Left-wing; 23 appearances & three goals

Blunstone, who came from Crewe, shared duties on the left wing with Lewis. Drake said he was one of his best buys and Jimmy Greaves claimed he had a heart the size of a cabbage. The baby of the championship side figured against Sheffield Wednesday but sat out the trip to Hayes.

He won five England caps during his 10 years with the club and famously got married at Fulham Broadway one morning before going to training. He retired in 1964 after breaking his leg a second time, later managed Brentford, was on the staff of a host of clubs and now lives back in Crewe.

Ron Greenwood (West Ham United manager)

Centre-half; 21 appearances

Greenwood first turned out for Chelsea during the war. His path to a first-team place was blocked by Harris, but Drake bought him back in 1952 from Brentford. A cultured centre-half, he played half the campiagn but signed for Fulham when it became apparent his chances were grew limited.

He went on to found the West Ham "Academy" when manager of the Hammers from 1961 to 1974 and became England boss in 1977. He resigned from the national job after the 1982 World Cup when his team bowed out at the second group stage despite being unbeaten.

Peter Brabrook (Orient)

Outside-right; three appearances

Brabrook, then 17, had a bit-part role coming into the side for a spell in March. He won three caps and was the third of the squad to go to the 1958 World Cup. He also won the FA Cup with West Ham in 1964 and ended his career at Leyton Orient. He retired as Hammers youth team coach in 2002.

Alan Dicks (Bristol City manager)

Centre-half; one appearance

He stood in for Armstrong in the Good Friday win over Sheffield United with the match against Wolves coming just 24 hours later. He moved to Southend in 1958 with Stubbs and later played for Coventry before starting a managerial career that took in time at Bristol City and Fulham.

Ron Yeats (Liverpool) Profile reports that Ron is currently on Liverpool's books as Chief Scout, and has been on the staff since 1982. After a playing career at Dundee United, Liverpool, Tranmere Rovers, he had been on the staff of Tranmere Rovers, Stalybridge Celtic, Barrow, before joining Liverpool.

Alex Miller (Rangers)

Alex is currently the First Team Coach at Liverpool. Profile says that he has been at the club since 1999. He took up this current role at the beginning of the season having previously been Director of Scouting. He was on the coaching staff of Rangers for 17 years, then became manager of Aberdeen, St Mirren, and Hibernian - where he helped the club win the Scottish League Cup. He has also been involved in the Scottish National side.

As a player he joined Rangers April 1967 from Clydebank Strollers. He apparantly distinguished himself by playing in the 1972 Scottish Cup Final even though his jaw was broken.

Newcastle United Staff

Since the appointment of Graeme Souness (Tottenham Hotspur) as manager in September 2004, the following Bob 70-71 Players are now all on Newcastle United's books...

Terry McDermott (Bury) First team coach (as mentioned above)

Phil Boersma (Liverpool) Reserve Team Assistant Manager

Roy Tunks (Rotherham United) Goalkeeping Coach

Ray Clarke (Tottenham Hotspur) Chief Scout


Alan Gilzean (Tottenham Hotspur)

Hi, Could you please let me know, what Alan Gilzean is up to these days? & if he is still in good health, thank you.


Dear Bob,
               Wrote to you last year about tracing ex-spurs players. Just wondered if you could update the request if possible.
I am a Spurs supporter and collect autographs of ex-Spurs players for my own personal collection.

I need the following:
Bill Dodge
Stuart Skeet
Ron Ward
Jimmy Walker
Jeff Ireland
Alan Reed
Brian Fittock
Barry Roffman
John Gilroy
John Westwood and
John Laurel

Further Spring 2005 news can be found at ...

Bob Dunning
14 May 2005

BobNet Logo

Click here for the latest Soccer headlines